Principles of Responsible Crime Watch
- Be alert and pay attention your neighborhood surroundings.
- Know your neighbors and watch out for each other.
- Be familiar with your neighbors’ cars (make, color)
- Record neighbors’ names, telephone numbers, and license plate numbers
Activities we should be on the lookout for…
- Someone looking in windows of houses and parked cars
- Suspicion that property is being taken out of houses into awaiting cars or trucks by people who are not the homeowner.
- Cars, vans, or trucks moving slowly through the neighborhood, with no apparent destination.
- People believed to be strangers sitting in cars or stopping for no apparent reason.
Be watchful for…
- Sound of home alarms, indicating an intrusion has taken place.
- People traveling door-to-door, especially if one person stays out front while the other goes to the back side of the house.
- People coming and going to a particular residence at all hours of the day or night.
- Vehicles driving down the neighborhood streets at night without headlights.
- Abandoned cars or trucks.
- Unknown people appearing to be loitering in front of houses or running through the neighborhood without the right jogging clothes.
- Unknown people sitting in parked vehicles for extended periods of time.
- People doing business from a parked vehicle.
- Any signs of forced entry, such as open doors and broken windows or people attempting forced entry.
- People collecting items or goods in and around neighbor’s property (people may be storing stolen property in plain sight in your neighborhood.)
- Excessive and unusual noises coming from residences such as dogs barking or home alarms.
How should incidents be reported?
- Call 911 or the Palm Bay Police at 952-3456
- Give your name and address, describe the incident
- Describe the suspect: sex, race, hair color, clothing, approximate age, height, weight, and distinctive characteristics if any.
- If your nearby neighbors is targeted, call your neighbor by phone, or if available, send a text message to neighbor’s cell phone.
- Send an email to the Turkey Creek crime watch coordinator describing the incident.
Functions performed by Crime Watch Coordinator
- Record all suspicious activities reported by residents.
- Make reports in the TurkeyCreekHOA.org website blog and encourage discussion
- Follow-up liaison if necessary, with Palm Bay Police Department after initial investigation.
- Develop relationship with key Palm Bay Officers.
- Post Neighborhood Crime Watch signs in key locations.
- Inform new neighbors about the program.
- Promote installation of intrusion alarm systems.